Sustainability Initiatives in the COVID-19 Pandemic
The spread of COVID-19 has had a tremendous impact on our lives and economic activities. The Group, focusing on the functions required for a stable supply of pharmaceuticals, will maintain its business and fulfill its mission of providing a “stable supply of pharmaceuticals” while ensuring employee safety, revising the BCP to take into account a response to infectious diseases such as corona pneumonia, reviewing the personnel system, improving the network environment, promoting workstyle reforms, and reviewing research, development, and sales style. Moreover, we are pursuing initiatives that leverage Group strengths and providing various support in response to changing circumstances.
Click the linkbelow to view details of these initiatives.
(Japanese language only)
Stable Supply of Pharmaceuticals
We believe that providing a sustainable supply of reliable pharmaceuticals is our vital mission. While we closely cooperate with affiliates and business partners in the production, procurement, and distribution of pharmaceuticals, we strive to maintain a sustainable supply by taking care to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as a business that must maintain continuity. At this time, the stable supply of our products has not been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. We will work to maintain a sustainable supply while paying close attention to the COVID-19 situation in Japan and abroad.
Activity Continuity Support for Intractable Disease Patient Organizations and 17 Support Groups
With online access rapidly increasing in many places, patients and families are finding that in-person activities are difficult due to the risk of becoming severely ill by infection, and that anxiety and isolation are further increasing. We helped intractable disease patient organizations and 17 support groups to pay for the purchase of information devices (PCs, tablets, etc.) and peripheral equipment (cameras, speakers, etc.) to conduct business with the aim of enhancing their online environment so they can continue their business activities even in the pandemic. Each of the groups was incredibly pleased and used the tools to promote their online activities.
Activities to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
We are making various efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in areas where business is expanding. Below are some examples.
- Support activities (donations)
- Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation, Tianjin Tanabe Seiyaku, and Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Development (Beijing) donated one million yuan (approximately 16 million Japanese yen) through the Chinese Red Cross Foundation to support measures against COVID-19 in China. We also collected donations from employees, provided matching gifts in which the company and labor union donated a matching amount, and donated a total of 2.5 million yen through Save the Children Japan.
- Providing Masks
- Given that Osaka Prefecture, the location of our headquarters, is securing medical supplies in preparation for the spread of the virus, we donated 2,000 protective N95 masks from our stockpile, and donated protective N95 masks and surgical masks to the government and various organizations.
- The Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Factory (Onoda Plant)
- We donated goods such as masks and hand sanitizer to prevent infection to 337 households nearby.
The Onoda Plant manufactures slightly acidic electrolyzed water in the drug substance building and uses it for disinfection. Sanyo Onoda City, where the factory is located, asked that we provide its City Hall with slightly acidic electrolyzed water of about 13,900 L (March to October 2020) for use in disinfection and cleaning by local residents.
- Initiative to prevent each and every person from spreading the virus
- Leveraging the Tenohira (palm of the hand), a symbol of Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma, we have developed an advertisement to prevent the spread of the virus entitled “What you can do with your hands right now” that calls for straightforward, user-friendly hand washing. The hand illustrations on the company website are designed to be posted in your bathroom at home. We respect and support medical staff who treat infectious diseases on the front lines and will communicate the social mission of our pharmaceutical company and call for the prevention of infectious diseases at home.
Our overseas subsidiaries also provide donations, protective clothing, masks, and volunteers to meet each country's needs. Below are some examples.
- Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Indonesia
- We provided donations, masks, gloves, protective clothing, and infrared thermometers to healthcare professionals and nearby residents, as well as medicines to hospitals upon request.
- Tianjin Tanabe Seiyaku
- During the extremely cold winter, we provided down jackets to healthcare professionals and others engaged in COVID-19 prevention work to protect them against the cold.
- Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Europe
- We supported the volunteer work of employees who performed administrative support for the UK’s National Health Service (NHS).