Society ＞ Together with the Local Community Activities Addressing Social Needs
- Research & Development
- Stable Supply
- Manufacturing Pharmaceuticals that are Secure, Safe, and Convenient to Use
- Information Provision
- Drug Safety / Quality Assurance
- Solving Issues Related to Improving Access to Healthcare
- Human Resources Development
- Promoting Diversity & Inclusion
- Work-Style Innovation
- Occupational Health and Safety
Developing the Next Generation
As a measure to develop the next generation, the Group offers visiting lectures and company visits at domestic and overseas offices, which are used as venues for pharmaceutical-related lectures and comprehensive learning initiatives that leverage the knowledge of a pharmaceutical company.
Visiting Lectures at Schools
Each office provides visiting lectures for students at schools. These visiting lectures are talks on such topics as the pharmaceutical industry, the business of pharmaceutical companies, and new drug R&D.
In fiscal 2022, we accepted six schools for visiting lectures through the Saturday Study Support Group website.
- Student feedback
- I learned a lot that I did not know about pharmaceutical companies and the pharmaceutical industry and found out that Japan is very active in this area, which intrigued me.
- The detailed explanation of the process up to marketing of a new drug was fascinating.
- I learned that pharmaceutical companies have a number of departments with different roles, and that they work in concert to manufacture pharmaceuticals.
- This was helpful to me in choosing a career.
- Feedback from employee instructors
I talked about the unique characteristics of the pharmaceutical industry and the of the joy and pride in working as a member of a team in a highly segmented industry to create pharmaceutical products. I was worried about whether the junior high school students would understand my talk, and how interested they would be in it, but I was amazed by the fact that they listened earnestly right to the end. I hope that this lecture proved to be an opportunity for them to think about their own future.
Each of the Company’s offices is taking steps to promote harmonious coexistence with local communities, such as offering tours for regional organizations and comprehensive learning initiatives for nearby schools and school excursions. The goal is to introduce our business, the services of our pharmaceutical company, and employees’ careers, and to help students develop careers through dialogue. After taking measures against infection, we accepted eight schools in fiscal 2022 for company visits, including for online lectures.
- Comment from a school teacher
The instructor gave a thorough talk, covering everything from pharmaceuticals to going out into the world to work. I was also astonished to see that he answered all the students’ questions. After the lecture, it was impressive to see the surprised expressions on their faces. All in all, it was a truly valuable experience for me.
- Student feedback
- My whole image of how pharmaceuticals are made, such as how they are made to be easy to take, has changed.
- I was impressed by the technique of perforating PTP to make it easier for patients to use.
- The speed with which the medicines dissolved in the breakdown experiment was surprising, and I really enjoyed it.
- In future, I plan to use this as a reference in choosing a career.
- Student feedback
- The processes in the program taught me how to carry out specialist tasks and work as a member of a team to achieve a goal, which was extremely rewarding.
- This deepened my understanding of my field of study and future career, and was an excellent opportunity for learning and exchange between students.
- This experience gave me a more concrete understanding of the theoretical knowledge I gained in school.
Participation in the Saturday Study Support Group
In 2021, we endorsed the Saturday Study Support Group promoted by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, and started offering educational programs through visiting lectures and tours of our historical museum. Please use it as an aid to enrich the learning of children.
- [Programs provided] (Japanese language only)
Emergency/Disaster Reconstruction Aid
The Group closely monitors disaster-stricken areas and provides emergency and reconstruction support in the event of a disaster in Japan or abroad.
Sales to Support Reconstruction of Disaster-Stricken Areas
Previously, each business office held product sales events to get to know and provide support to disaster-stricken areas by selling the regional specialties of these areas, but in recent years the COVID-19 pandemic saw these events suspended. In fiscal 2022, the Yokohama office sold Yonesaki apples sourced from Rikuzentakata City in Iwate Prefecture as part of efforts to support reconstruction in the Tohoku region, making these available on request. The employees who purchased them enjoyed apples grown in the warm sea breezes and cool air from the mountains, while being inspired never to forget the afflicted area.
Rikuzentakata City, Iwate Prefecture, and the Great East Japan Earthquake
Eleven years have passed since the Great East Japan Earthquake occurred on March 11, 2011. At the time, Rikuzentakata City was home to approximately 24,000 people, but the destruction brought by the tsunami claimed the lives of almost 1,800. The disaster further aggravated problems the region was facing, which include an aging population, an outflow of young people, and a decline in primary industry, and it is said that it accelerated depopulation by twenty years. Even so, the farmers have maintained and protected the legacy of Yonesaki apples in the land of Rikuzentaka.
Humanitarian Assistance to Ukraine
In July 2022, the Company donated our medical products for the purpose of providing humanitarian assistance to the people of Ukraine and to those who have been forced to evacuate to surrounding countries. Donations were made based on a list provided by the Embassy of Ukraine in Japan, detailing medicines that are particularly needed in the region.
*The Mitsubishi Chemical Group (the MCG Group) donated 1 million euros (approximately 130 million yen) to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
Supporting Earthquake-Stricken Türkiye and Syria
The Company donated our medical products to support people affected by the earthquake that struck Türkiye and Syria in February 2023. Donations were made based on a list provided by the Turkish Government, detailing medicines that are particularly needed in the region. Additionally, our Group company Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Korea donated 2 million won through a cooperative of small and medium businesses in Korea.
*The MCG Group donated 150,000 euro to the United Nationals Children’s Fund (UNICEF) through Mitsubishi Chemical Europe B.V. to support the earthquake victims and the area affected by the disaster.
Supporting Earthquake-Stricken West Java in Indonesia
Our Group company Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Indonesia donated emergency relief supplies (food, infant diapers, mineral water, etc.) through an affiliated organization to support victims of the earthquake that occurred in Indonesia’s West Java region on November 21, 2022, and to assist with earthquake recovery efforts.
Donating relief supplies (Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Indonesia)